Failure to Properly Plug In Carbon Monoxide Detector Leads to a Fatality in Colorado Springs Apartment

Failure to Properly Plug In Carbon Monoxide Detector Leads to a Fatality in Colorado Springs Apartment

Posted on 13. Nov, 2012 by in News

Colder temperatures mean an increase in the use of furnaces, which in this particular case turned deadly. Benedo Valdez, 50, in Colorado Springs passed away Oct. 7 after his carbon monoxide detector failed to detect toxic fumes that his furnace leaked into his apartment.

Colorado law requires all rental properties to have functioning smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. “This is what’s going to be your line of defense when you’re asleep and there’s carbon monoxide or a fire,” said Laura Russmann with the Apartment Association of Southern Colorado. According to firefighters, the detector was not properly plugged in.

Understanding who is responsible for checking smoke and carbon monoxide detectors is important before either party agrees to a lease. “Once the lease is signed and the resident moves in, it becomes the responsibility of the resident to make sure that if anything malfunctions with that unit, whether it’s a smoke detector or carbon monoxide detector, that they contact their landlord to make sure that it gets fixed,” Russmann said.

Source: http://www.koaa.com/news/are-renters-or-landlords-responsible-for-inspecting-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-detectors-/

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: